Tanzanian Researchers traveling to the U.S.

You are going to the U.S. for a research or administrative project.
If you are a researcher or administrator from Tanzania and iAGRI has agreed to sponsor a trip for you to the U.S., please follow the steps below to schedule your trip and obtain your visa.
1. Select Travel Dates and Submit Travel Request Form

A host on the U.S. side must be clearly designated. If you are part of an iAGRI Collaborative Research team, your host will be a U.S. member of the team. If you are an administrator, your U.S. host will be identified through discussion with iAGRI. Once dates are selected, please fill out the Travel Request Form.

2. Obtain Tanzanian Passport
You should immediately make arrangements to obtain a passport if you do not have one already. The passport must be valid for 6 months beyond the travel month.
3. Obtain US Visa

U.S. visas are coordinated by Pat Rigby ([email protected]) at the Management Entity (ME) at Ohio State University and Lindsay Hillenberg ([email protected]) at Institute of International Education. Please follow the steps below to obtain a U.S. visa:

  • Confirm travel dates with your U.S. host and ensure that a letter of invitation is issued and copied to Pat Rigby ([email protected]). The letter should include the dates of the visit, purpose for travel/program to be engaged in, funding source covering all travel expenses, and Pat Rigby’s contact information as the person facilitating the J-1 visa.
  • Once the letter is received by Pat, she will be send a number of forms that are necessary to process the visa application. Complete each form, sign, scan, and email to Pat with a scan of your passport. If you neglect to sign the forms, you application will be delayed. Please also know that the medical form must bear the stamp of the medical center where your exam takes place.
  • After your paperwork and security clearance have been approved by USAID, you will receive a DS-2019 along with detailed instructions on how to proceed with your visa application.

Shangwe Bujiku ([email protected]), at the PMU iAGRI office in Morogoro, is available if you need assistance to complete and submit the forms. Even though you may currently possess a U.S. tourist or business visa, USAID requires that you follow their application process to obtain a J-1 visa to travel on iAGRI funds. Please be aware that this application process should begin a minimum of 8 weeks prior to your travel date.

4. Ticket Purchase and Travel Arrangements

All pre-departure expenses travel expenses (travel for visa interview and to pick up visa, travel to airport, etc.) will be reimbursed by the PMU office in Morogoro. Please inform Simeon Digennaro ([email protected]) prior to incurring expenses and submit all original receipts for reimbursement. Plane tickets will be purchased by the Consortium contact at the university where the student is studying (e.g. Ohio State University, Michigan State University, Iowa State University, Tuskegee University, University of Florida, or Virginia Tech). Please work directly with contacts at your student’s university to make all necessary arrangements including:

  • Airline tickets and travel
  • Lodging (to be paid directly by the Consortium university)
  • Per diem (to be provided upon your arrival by the Consortium university)
  • Itinerary/program schedule while in the U.S.
5. After Returning to Tanzania

You should fill out the Travel Report Form within two weeks of your return to Tanzania. The data collected on the forms are used in iAGRI’s reporting to USAID. Submit your completed form to Dave Hansen ([email protected]).

Summary of Required Forms

If you have any questions, please contact Shangwe Bujiku at [email protected].


iAGRI’s Project Director, Prof. David Kraybill having word with the speaker of the National Assembly of Tanzania honorable Job Ndugai at the STAKEHOLDERS STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS CONFERENCE & EXHI... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook